Kadogo means small in Swahili. We are constantly humbled by God’s power to take kadogo and multiply it to express His love. Below is a list of words from the Bible that are kadogo but POTENT in their influence.
- Sparrows. If a tiny bird does not escape the Creator’s attention, neither do you. Matt 10:29.
- Loaves and fish become creative ingredients for a miracle. John 6:9.
- Cup of cool water given in Jesus name brings His reward. Matt 10:42.
- Seeds of faith move mountains. Luke 17:6.
- A child welcomed into Jesus Presence because the kingdom is made up of these. Luke 18:16.
- Flowers wild in the fields are not arrayed more beautiful than you. Luke 12:27.
- A word in season brings refreshment. Psalm 119:17-20.
1. Ask Him - “Lord, my “kadogo” comes up short, but in your Hands - it’s more than enough. I’m giving you my small ______________ (self, possessions, money, time, attention, resources…)
2. Believe Him - Know that He’ll take whatever small thing you offer and multiply it beyond your natural abilities. In other words, it will take His grace and not your striving to make beautiful ministry happen.
3. Celebrate Him - Don’t look around comparing your life to others. That only breeds discontent, frustration, and covetousness. Instead, CHOOSE to celebrate Jesus moment by moment. Watch Him gently embrace your smallness and touch the world!
Here are some "kadogo multiplied" stories from our life in Kenya…
A small donation for an overlock machine, and another for materials, and another for supplies then soon the mamas - without husbands, without extra resources, but giving their little time - are making washable sanitary pads for poor village girls. This kadogo act of kindness coupled with a gospel witness will improve school attendance that can provide a hopeful future and end the cycle of neglect and poverty - a BIG impact from such small offerings blended together by the Master Maker of good and perfect gifts.
One tiny baby, abandoned… No amount of searching found a relative to claim him. He’s a boy now needing a family. Small choices - small changes in light of the obvious impact that a mama’s love, a baba’s acceptance and siblings’ joy will have on his life. A decision to humbly say, “Yes God,” can transform a destiny, regardless of how long he stays.
Four teenage girls gather under the jacaranda tree on the school campus. Sitting close under the shady branches they share snacks. One Musl*m, one Hindu, two Christians talking about lessons and boys and hair and music till the little Musl*m girl reveals her fear of the increasing threat of Ebola. A Christian girl places a warm hand on the Musl*m girl’s arm and seriously explains, “When you are afraid, you can call to Jesus. Ask Him to help you. He will never let you stay alone.” A small nugget of truth given with tenderness can open the door for the Lord to change an life for eternity.
An insignificant cup of clear water was murky minutes ago, almost consumed by a toddler with a runny nose. A quick pour through the filter and now his mama holds a plastic bottle filled with water that won’t make her child sick. She listens to the Bible lesson that Jesus, the Living Water longs for her to thirst no more. The Creator of Life brings new life to a mom and a child through a cup of clean water.