- 70% of the earth is water but less than 1% is drinkable.345 million people are without water access.
- 780 million people are without access to potable water. (That’s more than twice the population of USA.)
- 3.4 million people die yearly from water borne disease. (That’s about the entire size of Los Angeles.)
- Lack of access to clean water and sanitation kills children at a rate equivalent of a jumbo jet crashing every four hours.
- The water and sanitation crisis claims more lives through disease than any war claims through guns.
- An average American taking a five-minute shower uses more water than the average person in a developing country slum uses for an entire day.
- More people have a mobile phone than regular access to safe drinking water.
- Women and children use billions of hours collectively hauling water and finding fuel to use for boiling, valuable time that keeps them from school and income-generating work. This daily chore takes them into unsafe environments, making them vulnerable to assault. Even after the water is collected, precious energy is used to try and make it clean – sometimes the dirty water must be consumed as is, resulting in life-threatening diseases.
THANKS to everyone who helped us bring potable water to those we serve in Kenya. With a great team of nationals, bio-sand water filters are being constructed on our compound for widows and orphans. How great is that? They might not be able to turn on a tap or crack open a bottle, but this nifty contraption will let them pour whatever water they have and make it safe to consume. YEAH GOD. This filter, introduced with the gospel message is effective outreach in the community. Win Win Win! Clean water from the Living Water for those who need water. Again - YEAH GOD!